Saturday, April 12, 2008

evolution of art

first off, i have this cute little froggie picture i took the other day and wanted to share. isn't he so cute?


second, let's talk about the evolution of art. in my case, right now, jewelry. so, i saw this bracelet that was added on etsy the other day. Spiny Knotted... by LeiDesign and i was immediately drawn to it.



She notes the originator of the pattern she used for the bracelet in the description, Stephanie Sersich, so, off i go to find out more about this lady and her book that taught LeiDesign to make this gorgeous and tactile bracelet. I found Stephanie's website and read through everything I could find - her work is posted on alot of websites and she teaches classes so alot of people mentioned her on their blogs. well, me being the person i am, i decided i HAD to have her book. i had to see what this "special technique" was that LeiDesign learned from Stephanie's book and executed so beautifully in her bracelet.

so off to amazon i go, and barnes and noble.com, and ebay, did i mention that i'm cheap? a penny pincher? i found stephanie's book on buy.com and since i used my google checkout i got $10 off the book, so with 2 day UPS shipping i still only paid like $16 for the book. that's WAY under the $22.95 price. I got the book on wednesday and let me say...woohoo. but also let me say, had I seen the book first and not the bracelet by LeiDesign, i might not have bought it. anyways, i flipped quickly through it to the page with the how-to for the bracelet i had seen. i was shocked (it's really easy). i've done macrame before so i found the bracelet pattern very simple - but the drawings and the step-by-step how to's were fantastic. she even shows you how to add more thread when you run out - something that is very important.

so, i was going to make the bracelet as the pattern indicates, but i don't have any waxed linen thread or any pearl cotton. i could go to the store, yes, but cameron was sleeping and i had to wait for him to get up so in the meantime i started brainstorming how could i execute this bracelet with items i have on hand. my first thought was yarn, but that seemed more like a practice bracelet to me, you know? so my second thought was, of course, wire.

i started toying around with my copper wire. i had a couple practice runs and a little trial and error, and this is the bracelet i came up with. i don't know if i will list it in my shop. i really like it. it fits nicely :)







macrame with wire was definitely not the easiest thing i've ever done. i have sore index fingers on both hands. i can see if i make more of these wire bracelets i will develop a callus. but i think it's awesome. now, i will probably make a few bracelets out of twine (it will definitely be easier on my hands) but i just wanted to share my new endeavour with you special people, my blog readers. :) i was hesitant to post these pictures, because i don't want someone to 'steal' my idea, but i figure anyone with integrity will take my ideas and do exactly as i've done with Stephanie's - let it evolve.

8 comments:

AdobeSol said...

This is absolutely stunningly magificently gorgeously fabulous!! Seriously.. VERY nice. I am amazed by the intricacy. Great work!

Kim said...

Wow - you must have a lot of patience to twist the wire that many times. Cool effect.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! You're so talented!!!

Rhi

MarDi said...

Wow, I love it! Very, very pretty...The wire is a perfect complement to the brios that you used!

Waterrose said...

that is beautiful...can't wait to see more of your creations using this technique!

Cathy said...

Brilliant design. No wonder you want to keep it...LOL I would love to make my own jewellery but painting and drawing is easier on the hands...he he!!

Love your blog btw. Very interesting and varied.

Unknown said...

love the froggie. he is too cute.

love the bracelet! macrame wire, wow. that is talent and a whole lotta patience.

Danielle said...

I saw your blog. I love it what you have done with the bracelet. Great to know that my bracelet inspirate you ;-). Danielle, Lei Design.